Aug. 29, 2013
Put on a pot of this hearty chicken chili, sure to please the whole family! Try it alongside homemade cornbread and a crisp green salad.
1. Pick meat from chicken and shred into bite-sized pieces; refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Boil bones with water and chicken broth for 30 minutes.
3. Strain chicken stock and discard solids.
4. Peel and chop onion, seed and chop green peppers and chop garlic; set aside.
5. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. When hot add canola oil, onion, peppers and garlic. Sauté until onions are soft, about 3 minutes. Add chicken stock, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, pepper, salt and approx. 6 dashes of hot sauce. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 1 hour.
6. Rinse and drain cannellini and kidney beans and and add to mixture. Simmer another 10 minutes. Add shredded chicken and chopped cilantro; simmer until chicken is warmed through, about 5 minutes.
7. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired. Ladle into bowls and serve.